Skip to main content

It's not appropriate....

I am the self-proclaimed queen of inappropriate laughter. Really. While it has been several months since my last spell of such laughter, it's been a life-long struggle.

Yesterday, I went to the dentist here in Italy. It has taken me over a year to work up the courage- both due to my mild dental phobia, schedule conflicts (not really) and general inexplicable inertia.

The office is clean and modern. Being who I am, I checked for signs of sterilization and am pleased to report all appears to be clean. (Note the use of the word appears.)

So far, so good, then the dentist walked in.....he is handsome, has a nice smile (of course)and a kind demeanor. Then, my mind did a terrible thing- it jumped to the idea that he looks like George Oscar Bluth (GOB from Arrested Development)! At first I giggle, then all out laughter ensues, clearly inappropriate behavior at the dentist office. I sit down in the chair and get a sip of water....no change.



He and his assistant start to work on replacing an old filling and I am shaking with the giggles! I am sure they thought I was crazy! I could not use any of my coping techniques such as: 1) act like you are crying 2) act like you are coughing and the best one-3) excuse yourself from the situation.




I struggled to keep my eyes forward and listen to the music on my ipod. I could not look at him- especially when he put on the surgical mask!









I suspect it is out of my system and I should be safe for the next visit. I hope so anyway. You know, at least I am no longer plagued by hearing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in my head constantly....now I just listen to that on the ipod : )

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh My...you and Bob have this issue in common. ALTHOUGH, he NEVER tries to hide it or excuse himself in any way :-) He just enjoys the good hearty laugh. I will give you concrete examples of his inappropriate laughter next time we chat, It would be much too inappropriate to actually write them down!! Very funny post. I loved it-- hope the filling went OK? Thanks for the great bday song and wishes. EG's mermaid sandbox was a huge hit! She and M both loved it. Hugs and Kisses to all!
Anonymous said…
You make me laugh. I too have difficulty with the inappropriate laugh and when it cycles, well......there is no hope of stifling it without severe self inflicted pain or self removal from the situation. I can't help remembering a family removal from the kitchen during dinner long ago when giggling just bred more giggling. In my infiniate aged wisdom, however, is it so bad? Not so much! I think it releases endorphins or some such wonderful enzymatic release which is always a good thing. Keep smiling!!!!
Unknown said…
You and GOB! Hilar!! YOu and Jay heart GOB!! I laughed picturing you trying hard not to laugh at the Dentist Italiano!!! ;-P
mimi and papa said…
This post reminds me of the "enlarged uterus" laughing spree. I say no more, except that memory of the "pretending to cry" aspect to cover the uncontrollable laughter mirrors your predicament. Wish I could have your dentist office visit on video!
Beyond hysterical!

Popular posts from this blog

Spring break whirlwind!

I am sorry that I haven't posted this week. Diesel, I am so glad you figured out how to leave comments- we commented back on some of them! It was good to hear from you. I will try and do a catch up and post and then try to post more regularly next week...when time slows down, again. Nanny, I hope you made it home okay. The little engines were asking about you all day. We went over how you will be back, several times. I think they get it : ) Of all the weeks we have had here in Italy, I can honestly say, none of them have gone fast- except this past week. We drove Nanny to the airport this morning and it seems like we were just there to pick her up! This time, we went the right direction and it took much less time, fancy that. (You would think that with a map and a car we would be okay, but it is seriously difficult to get around here. You have to know several towns past your destination town that might be marked on the signs and then might not be. For example, you want to go to Ven
Purebred, German-imported female Pomeranian: 1,000 Euro Innotek Remote Controlled Citronella Spray Collar: $89.99 Little girl growing up with her dream dog: priceless Introducing: Fluffernutter aka: "Brandy" yes, it is also her stripping name Age: 4-years The girls keep forgetting that she won't grow any bigger even though they accept that The Fonz will always be small, go figure. Cost: For us, she was a "free" dog, I like to refer to her as a "used" dog Facts: Both girls are in love with her and she is growing on the Dad in the family She likes to drink out of the bidet She likes to lick Fonzie's ears (Bleh!) She likes to chase kitties, but her favorite hobby is barking...well, it was : )

Have a Very Merry Un-birthday to you, to you....

The tallest of the small is 6.5 years old. We had the usual half-birthday fun. At school, on her half-birthday, one of her friends told her that half birthdays aren't real. She mentioned this to me when she got off the bus. Then she asked me if half birthdays are "real." Hmmmmm. "What do you think?" I asked her (love that parenting technique). Well, she explained that lots of people don't celebrate their half birthdays, most people probably. But since we do, they are real for us. Sounds good to me : ) You get to celebrate their lives twice as many times- how can I resist, besides, it involves CAKE people! Happy half-birthday!