Skip to main content

A quick jaunt up the mountain o' fun : )

I just spoke with my friend in Washington D.C and they are snowed in! To be truthful, it sounds like fun to me.....shhhh.

For us, we have to go seeking the white stuff. A couple of weekends ago, we attempted to drive up the mountain for a little fun in the snow, but we stopped partway up. The conditions called for chains on our tires- which we don't have. We decided we didn't want to chance it and possibly spend our day trapped on the mountainside. (I think the only one who was disappointed was My Man- the kids had a great time playing at a little pit stop along the way.)




This weekend, we made it to the top....H and My Man rented an inner tube and went tubing!



You hop on and ride down this slope and there was a people mover at the bottom. You insert your ticket in the little turnstile and you can get a ride back to the top. (see the people on the left?)



H-bomb was like an adrenalin junky. She was hyped up and loving it!



Z-meister and I took the slower sled down the other side of the mountain. We had a blast and she insisted I shout "Cowabunga" on the way down.....how could I argue with that little snot-nosed face? (She learned Cowabunga from Stitch- not Bart.)



But then she got curious and showed an unusual streak of braveness.....




Turns out she loved tubing as well and went on several more runs. It was not my favorite- you know, hurling down the hill, practically sitting on my child, with no head protection and did I mention no steering? At one point we were going backwards...not exactly my favorite....but I am sure there is more of that in my future.

The Italians cracked me up for two reasons:
1.) Color: Although black is the color of choice for daily Italian life, it is anything goes when it comes to snow gear. There were men in bright purple and turquoise, women in hot pink and lots of reds and blues. They were stuffed into those suits, standing around smoking.

2. Haphazardness: I am accustomed to sledding down the center of the hill and walking back up along one of the sides. This makes sense to my American brain- people can continuously sled down the center and there is less chance for collision. Also, it's easier to walk on the sides where the snow isn't packed down so much. Well, that is just not the modus operandi in Italy. You just slide down and then walk right back up the center of the hill. At the top, you stand around blocking the top of the hill while you talk and smoke- making it difficult for others to launch their sleds. Then, on the way down, you shout "Pista" (which translates to "trail or runway" but it's really more like "coming through!") at the top of your lungs and hope everyone gets out of the way....or maybe you hope they don't...not sure about that!

Comments

nanny said…
Looks and sounds like great time was had by all. It's such a beautiful mountain and the scenery, oh my goodness. The people mover, how ingenious.Sometimes those Italians are very clever. Overall it looks like a super operation and I am glad you had a wonderful day in the snow. Making memories, that's what it is about. Thanks for the Tuesday smile. Now for Wednesday, a snowday would make me smile again tee-hee.
Unknown said…
Oh my gosh! You made me laugh so hard about the Italians stuffed into their rainbow snow suits, standing around smoking and blocking others from launching their sleds!!

What fun for the kids and you guys! You were Griswald on his sled!! FUN FUN FUN!! Wish I were there!!

Popular posts from this blog

Spring break whirlwind!

I am sorry that I haven't posted this week. Diesel, I am so glad you figured out how to leave comments- we commented back on some of them! It was good to hear from you. I will try and do a catch up and post and then try to post more regularly next week...when time slows down, again. Nanny, I hope you made it home okay. The little engines were asking about you all day. We went over how you will be back, several times. I think they get it : ) Of all the weeks we have had here in Italy, I can honestly say, none of them have gone fast- except this past week. We drove Nanny to the airport this morning and it seems like we were just there to pick her up! This time, we went the right direction and it took much less time, fancy that. (You would think that with a map and a car we would be okay, but it is seriously difficult to get around here. You have to know several towns past your destination town that might be marked on the signs and then might not be. For example, you want to go to Ven
Purebred, German-imported female Pomeranian: 1,000 Euro Innotek Remote Controlled Citronella Spray Collar: $89.99 Little girl growing up with her dream dog: priceless Introducing: Fluffernutter aka: "Brandy" yes, it is also her stripping name Age: 4-years The girls keep forgetting that she won't grow any bigger even though they accept that The Fonz will always be small, go figure. Cost: For us, she was a "free" dog, I like to refer to her as a "used" dog Facts: Both girls are in love with her and she is growing on the Dad in the family She likes to drink out of the bidet She likes to lick Fonzie's ears (Bleh!) She likes to chase kitties, but her favorite hobby is barking...well, it was : )

Have a Very Merry Un-birthday to you, to you....

The tallest of the small is 6.5 years old. We had the usual half-birthday fun. At school, on her half-birthday, one of her friends told her that half birthdays aren't real. She mentioned this to me when she got off the bus. Then she asked me if half birthdays are "real." Hmmmmm. "What do you think?" I asked her (love that parenting technique). Well, she explained that lots of people don't celebrate their half birthdays, most people probably. But since we do, they are real for us. Sounds good to me : ) You get to celebrate their lives twice as many times- how can I resist, besides, it involves CAKE people! Happy half-birthday!