Skip to main content

Along the same lines......


After our trip to France this summer, I wanted to send a little giftie to my french family. What says thank you more than a big box of crazy assorted Halloween candy- you know the severed-gummy fingers and the wax vampire teeth that then become chewing gum? The girls and I had a blast picking out all sorts of junk to send.

When I tried to mail it from the base, I was astounded at the cost. I don't know why it was so pricey. Maybe packages are routed through NY first before they are sent to Europe? For the price, it seemed the box could go around the world a few times before reaching its final destination. Anyway....and read carefully for the funny part of the following thought process....I thought, "It might be faster/easier if I send it through the Italian post." (Did you catch it?)

So, off we went- now that I am a pro, I knew when they would be open.

When we walked in, there was a number dispensing ticker tape, but I didn't take a number because we were the only ones in the post office. Minutes passed, and we were STILL the only ones waiting in line. There were 3 clerks at their stations all of them shifting papers and looking busy.

One woman glanced up at me from the end of the office several times. We waited patiently.

The woman finally stood up, walked all the way down to my end of the office, and exited the glass parition to where we stood. (Italian post offices are set up with the workers one one side of a glass wall and the customers on the other.
When you talk to them it's through the little speaker part in the wall and you push money and papers under this glass tray to their side.)

She walked over to the ticker machine and directed me to take a number.

I obliged and took a number. She nodded approvingly and made her way back behind the glass and down to her end of the office. She sat down and shuffled a few papers. She then glanced at us, waiting alone in the post office, with our number in hand. She shuffled a few more papers and spoke with her neighbor.

Finally, she looked up at the number board and changed the number, which called me down to someone else's window. I love it.


Hmmm, looks like this post has been hanging around for a while, so, how about I freshend it up with some recent pics? Sure!


Comments

nanny said…
Chuckle-chuckle! Why am I not at all surprised? This is foddeer for SNL......I can just picture the event. Too funny!!!!

Being home won't be nearly as entertaining....you'll miss these kinds of experiences. You will!
mimi and papa said…
Your hats are so very cute, but I must say, your models are perfectly wonderful! It's good that you continue to write about your zany experiences that bewilder ~ keeping those who miss you entertained ~ and provide a lasting document of a time in your life that you will someday recall with a smile! Please keep it going as we enjoy each and every installment.
Love and hugs, Mimi and Pap
Unknown said…
Love this story! Beminds me of my stress at the train station and the line which was moving in slow motion. Still marvelling at how my suitcase nearly left the station without me...which beminds me of that phrase...her train has left the station! moi??!!

Popular posts from this blog

Spring break whirlwind!

I am sorry that I haven't posted this week. Diesel, I am so glad you figured out how to leave comments- we commented back on some of them! It was good to hear from you. I will try and do a catch up and post and then try to post more regularly next week...when time slows down, again. Nanny, I hope you made it home okay. The little engines were asking about you all day. We went over how you will be back, several times. I think they get it : ) Of all the weeks we have had here in Italy, I can honestly say, none of them have gone fast- except this past week. We drove Nanny to the airport this morning and it seems like we were just there to pick her up! This time, we went the right direction and it took much less time, fancy that. (You would think that with a map and a car we would be okay, but it is seriously difficult to get around here. You have to know several towns past your destination town that might be marked on the signs and then might not be. For example, you want to go to Ven
Purebred, German-imported female Pomeranian: 1,000 Euro Innotek Remote Controlled Citronella Spray Collar: $89.99 Little girl growing up with her dream dog: priceless Introducing: Fluffernutter aka: "Brandy" yes, it is also her stripping name Age: 4-years The girls keep forgetting that she won't grow any bigger even though they accept that The Fonz will always be small, go figure. Cost: For us, she was a "free" dog, I like to refer to her as a "used" dog Facts: Both girls are in love with her and she is growing on the Dad in the family She likes to drink out of the bidet She likes to lick Fonzie's ears (Bleh!) She likes to chase kitties, but her favorite hobby is barking...well, it was : )

Have a Very Merry Un-birthday to you, to you....

The tallest of the small is 6.5 years old. We had the usual half-birthday fun. At school, on her half-birthday, one of her friends told her that half birthdays aren't real. She mentioned this to me when she got off the bus. Then she asked me if half birthdays are "real." Hmmmmm. "What do you think?" I asked her (love that parenting technique). Well, she explained that lots of people don't celebrate their half birthdays, most people probably. But since we do, they are real for us. Sounds good to me : ) You get to celebrate their lives twice as many times- how can I resist, besides, it involves CAKE people! Happy half-birthday!