Skip to main content

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors.....


(Gotta bump that!)


Most of the houses here have some sort of fence around them. Usually the fence is a cement base with metal fencing on top. The Italians love their cement as much, if not more, than they love their tile. If you are lucky, there's a little clicker to open the gate when you are about to pull into your driveway. The gate then closes automatically after you pass through.

I didn't grow up with a fence around our house, and neither did My Man. Most houses on our street did not have a fence, either. So, I am intrigued by the mental shift we have about our gate. We feel obliged to keep it closed. I tell you, you start to feel strange if you discover, in the morning, that it was open all night- even just a foot to allow you to pass in and out to walk the dog. The feeling is stronger than if you discover you unwittingly left a light on...but not as strong as if you discover the refrigerator door is ajar. It's more akin to leaving your garage door open- although the gate in no way allows access to your home. It's an amusing mentality shift.

I have heard, however, that leaving your gate open is a sort of "invitation" to enter your yard. It would seem to have proven true for us.




We were loading up the car, so we left the gate open. Suddenly and quite unexpectedly, there was a man standing next to us in the driveway. He started talking to us- in Italian, of course. Much to my bewilderment, he began to explain that he wanted a slide. Surely my Italian was failing me, this stranger is in our driveway talking to me about a slide? He seemed to be referring to the kind on which children play. Clearly he was a crazy person, rather a crazy stranger in our midst. He ranted about how his daughter really wanted a slide and a little play table. (Just for the record, we don't have a slide, but we do have a little outdoor picnic bench.) He specifically told me he wanted a 5 step slide and not a 3 step slide. My mind struggled to make sense of this situation.




I wasn't listening as well as I could, as you can imagine. He was smartly dressed in black designer-looking pants. They were fashionable jeans of some sort with a black sparkly pattern on the leg. He wore a purple dress shirt and a nice jacket. His hair was black, slicked down a bit. Okay, I thought, he doesn't appear to be homeless, but you never know.....he isn't wearing a hospital gown, so he isn't a recent escapee.....but who is he and why is he talking about a slide?

Finally, I just blurted out- "Who are you?" He told me he was our neighbor. Neighbor? What neighbor? We share a duplex with an American teacher and our other neighbor is the crazy cat lady who feeds all the strays. I swear I have never seen him before- we have been in this house over a year now. I continued to be bewildered, and from the look on My Man's face, he was also clueless. He pointed toward his house-a beautiful well-kept place 3 doors down.

Okay, now I know where he lives. That's really only part of the puzzle.

Yes, he tells me, he knows we are American and he wants us to get a slide for him. Interesting. I told him about a website that has lots of local listings from people moving in and out of the area. Nope, he wants me to do it, okay? (Well, no, the very last time I checked that is not okay!)




Hmmm, the quandary isn't whether to spend my time looking for a slide for him or not- we all know I won't, but the real question is how to get him out of the driveway.

I politely tell him that I will keep it in mind...it's on my mind alright, no lie there.

Yes, yes, of course, your daughter will be happier with a slide. Yes, a 5-step slide would be better for her. Ciao, Ciao, off he goes.

QUICK- close the gate!!!!



The fence and gate pics are from our recent trip to Dublin, Ireland. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Dublin! It is a vibrant, young, alive city- and we had a great trip!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring break whirlwind!

I am sorry that I haven't posted this week. Diesel, I am so glad you figured out how to leave comments- we commented back on some of them! It was good to hear from you. I will try and do a catch up and post and then try to post more regularly next week...when time slows down, again. Nanny, I hope you made it home okay. The little engines were asking about you all day. We went over how you will be back, several times. I think they get it : ) Of all the weeks we have had here in Italy, I can honestly say, none of them have gone fast- except this past week. We drove Nanny to the airport this morning and it seems like we were just there to pick her up! This time, we went the right direction and it took much less time, fancy that. (You would think that with a map and a car we would be okay, but it is seriously difficult to get around here. You have to know several towns past your destination town that might be marked on the signs and then might not be. For example, you want to go to Ven
Purebred, German-imported female Pomeranian: 1,000 Euro Innotek Remote Controlled Citronella Spray Collar: $89.99 Little girl growing up with her dream dog: priceless Introducing: Fluffernutter aka: "Brandy" yes, it is also her stripping name Age: 4-years The girls keep forgetting that she won't grow any bigger even though they accept that The Fonz will always be small, go figure. Cost: For us, she was a "free" dog, I like to refer to her as a "used" dog Facts: Both girls are in love with her and she is growing on the Dad in the family She likes to drink out of the bidet She likes to lick Fonzie's ears (Bleh!) She likes to chase kitties, but her favorite hobby is barking...well, it was : )

Have a Very Merry Un-birthday to you, to you....

The tallest of the small is 6.5 years old. We had the usual half-birthday fun. At school, on her half-birthday, one of her friends told her that half birthdays aren't real. She mentioned this to me when she got off the bus. Then she asked me if half birthdays are "real." Hmmmmm. "What do you think?" I asked her (love that parenting technique). Well, she explained that lots of people don't celebrate their half birthdays, most people probably. But since we do, they are real for us. Sounds good to me : ) You get to celebrate their lives twice as many times- how can I resist, besides, it involves CAKE people! Happy half-birthday!