Skip to main content

The joke's on me...as usual


I quickly pull into the parking lot at the post office. It's not really a parking lot, but rather a small patch of asphalt on the corner. Cars are parked any which way, and no one has any hope of getting out of the lot until so and so pulls out first. It's like a puzzle.

I dash for the door- at least what I think is the door. I am harried, as I only have a few minutes before they close for lunch. Glancing to my left, I see a handsome man sitting in a dark-colored SUV. He's so much more collected than I am- or ever will be. Obviously waiting for someone, he smiles in my direction. He has dark hair with silver highlights along his temples and blue eyes. He's the epitome of the "handsome Italian look." He's wearing a stylish black leather jacket, he has a million dollar smile and his mouth is framed by a thin, well-manicured moustache. I grin back at him and continue toward the door.

The next time I fly past him, I am hustling to the ATM, digging around in my overstuffed purse for my card. He motions me over, so I veer toward him with a puzzled expression on my face.

"Are you Mrs. Watkins?" he asks in English with a heavy Italian accent.
"Umm, no," I admit, wishing I were- wink wink.
"Oh, I am friends with Mr. Watkins and I know their car looks just like yours. I thought you might be her."
"Oh, I just stole that car," I laughingly reply. "Have a nice day." (I have no idea what possessed me to quip such a thing.)

I head over to the ATM, withdraw the Euro and hustle back inside. When I get back outside, he is still sitting in his car.

He smiles at me, showing me his badge in the window and says, "I'm a carabinieri, you should be more careful about who you tell your secrets to!"

I start laughing and get back into my car. Surely he knows I was joking.

I am able to get my car out of the lot, but in my haste, I went down the curb- clunk!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Mrs. Watkins!
Ha! That was made up just to get you to chat with El Carbinaro! (isn't that a pasta dish) He sounds like one fine pasta dish! Great story! Love that you were all flustered and he was so cool...and you hit the curb on the way out! Brilliant!
Anonymous said…
Love your zany interlude with the "fuzz". Have you had any fantasies about this dashing man placing handcuffs on you and tossing you in the back seat of his cruiser? I haven't either!
You are a total riot and a half! Love this caper and only wish I were there to drink him in with my eyes. I refuse to sign my name to this. You can't force me.

Popular posts from this blog

Spring break whirlwind!

I am sorry that I haven't posted this week. Diesel, I am so glad you figured out how to leave comments- we commented back on some of them! It was good to hear from you. I will try and do a catch up and post and then try to post more regularly next week...when time slows down, again. Nanny, I hope you made it home okay. The little engines were asking about you all day. We went over how you will be back, several times. I think they get it : ) Of all the weeks we have had here in Italy, I can honestly say, none of them have gone fast- except this past week. We drove Nanny to the airport this morning and it seems like we were just there to pick her up! This time, we went the right direction and it took much less time, fancy that. (You would think that with a map and a car we would be okay, but it is seriously difficult to get around here. You have to know several towns past your destination town that might be marked on the signs and then might not be. For example, you want to go to Ven
Purebred, German-imported female Pomeranian: 1,000 Euro Innotek Remote Controlled Citronella Spray Collar: $89.99 Little girl growing up with her dream dog: priceless Introducing: Fluffernutter aka: "Brandy" yes, it is also her stripping name Age: 4-years The girls keep forgetting that she won't grow any bigger even though they accept that The Fonz will always be small, go figure. Cost: For us, she was a "free" dog, I like to refer to her as a "used" dog Facts: Both girls are in love with her and she is growing on the Dad in the family She likes to drink out of the bidet She likes to lick Fonzie's ears (Bleh!) She likes to chase kitties, but her favorite hobby is barking...well, it was : )

Have a Very Merry Un-birthday to you, to you....

The tallest of the small is 6.5 years old. We had the usual half-birthday fun. At school, on her half-birthday, one of her friends told her that half birthdays aren't real. She mentioned this to me when she got off the bus. Then she asked me if half birthdays are "real." Hmmmmm. "What do you think?" I asked her (love that parenting technique). Well, she explained that lots of people don't celebrate their half birthdays, most people probably. But since we do, they are real for us. Sounds good to me : ) You get to celebrate their lives twice as many times- how can I resist, besides, it involves CAKE people! Happy half-birthday!