Skip to main content

Later that day....



I still harbored the hope of being "productive."

I digress, for a moment, to consider that desire. I really enjoy accomplishing things. I recognize the list of things "to do" is ever-changing and ever-growing, but I still like to get things done. I have been known to add an already-accomplished task to the list, only so I can check it off. I mean, it "counts." There have been times when I have been a slave to the list. Children and living in Italy have taught me a powerful, shocking and slightly painful lesson. NOTHING bad happens if I just ignore the list!

There are some days, I wake up to face a long list of things to do. As I sip my coffee, my mind starts to clear and, slowly, a realization dawns on me. I really don't want to do any of my list tasks. Next comes both a feeling of relief and despair, as I realize I don't actually HAVE to do anything today! It's freeing and scarey at the same time. Such is the life of the casalinga!

Having already told you the beginning of my day, I will continue. We went to the grocery store to pick up some sandwiches for lunch. As we munched happily, I was still being nagged by the feeling of wanting to accomplish something. I decided we would make our way to Pordenone to apply for our Codice fiscale. After lunch, we set off, following the directions into the city. The directions were very specific, yet somehow I managed to park in the wrong lot- that's just how savvy I am with directions.

We made our way to the correct building (the second revolving door)and found the waiting area. We took a number and took several seats. I got out suckers for the girls and we commenced the waiting process. We waited and waited and waited. Then, a woman dressed in black with her midriff showing and wearing plastic white glasses made an announcement. Even though my Italian has come a long way, I wasn't sure I understood what she was saying, because it sounded like the computers were down indefinitely. I leaned over and tapped the woman sitting next to H and asked her for clarification- yes, I had it right. There was going to be no "business" transactions for the day, they could only provide information.......

Lucky for us, we hadn't waited too long....maybe 20 minutes, plus the time it took us to get here. In my mind, I was evening out the long wait at the housing office with this one...trying to make it seem like the other one was shorter, because if I divided the waiting time by 2.....but my fuzzy math didn't account for the fact that I still hadn't accomplished a thing yet....well, we had lunch at least...that counts.

Dazed, we headed out into the light of the day. There's one more thing that's been on my list for a long time....maybe we should head to the bank in Maniago to check on H's school lunch account from last year. Yes, surely I could make some progress there! You see, we started an account with a bank in Maniago to pay for H's lunches when she went to the asilo in Campagna. I have never received a statement or a single shred of paper with regards to this account. The school year is long-over and I still have yet to get an update. I have no idea if there is any money left on this account- or maybe we owe for her lunches. It's a mystery. I had visited the bank several times- three to be exact. Each time, the teller would pull out a large book of dot matrix printed-lists. He would look down the columns of lightly printed (practically illegible) names and eventually look up at me and inform me that they don't have any information and if I haven't heard from the bank, all is well.

At this point, all isn't well, and I know they would never let me know if we had a refund coming, so, I needed to try again. Yes, that's what we would do! Pile back into the car kids! Off we went.

Comments

nanny said…
Never disturb a sleeping dog comes to mind.... however, let's look at a situation in the good old.....at 8:30 a call was made to a primary care physician, too busy to deal with someone who is really sick. Nurse on call says to take a sample (of you can only guess to the office.)Trip one to office. 9:00 said sample delivered. 9:15 nurse calls says scripts at the drugstore. 10:00 Arrive at drugstore and there is only one script and not the one for treatment. Trip two. 10:10 Message at home scripts at pharmacy (but I know they are not.)10:15 Call nurse back. There may be a twenty minute wait says the recording on the other end. Finally Nurse Crachet gets the call and is certainly now surly Nurse Crachet, since this is my third call to her today. Says scripts sent but will resend. After waiting a suitable half hour, now 11:30 called drugstore and the script was finally personally called in by the nurse. 12:30 meds in hand, treatment progresses. Third trip. Now the whole point of calling my personal physician was to save time (waiting at the med center) and gas ($3.80 a gallon.) I have doubts about my choices today. At least at the med center I could have read the latest edition of People. However, the silver lining. I treated myself to a new Halloween charm for my bracelet. Putting it on made me think....sometimes no matter where you are on the globe.....happens. Just to let you know, I was thinking of you and in the big picture does any of this matter? Tee-hee!!!!! Glad you can enjoy the mishaps where you are, but know they are also with us. Your entries are always a hoot and make me smile. Ciao!
Unknown said…
And...what happened?! What a day! It does seem like that you are all going to learn so much patience that when you return, you will sail through anything! In the meantime, sounds like you are keeping your sense of humor!! Ha!
mimi and papa said…
The reference that "all is not well" rings a bell with me. It sounds strangely familiar. I'm certain that many of us can relate to the mishaps in LIFE!
I think Lucille Ball would be perfect for the part of Mommy-O in the "Capers Sitcom", however she may no longer be available.
I must say that your photos always delight and always capture the wonderful essence of the two very sweet girls who share your "funny-filled" journey.
Miss you so much and look forward to many laughter fests with you.
Hugs, Mimi

Popular posts from this blog

Spring break whirlwind!

I am sorry that I haven't posted this week. Diesel, I am so glad you figured out how to leave comments- we commented back on some of them! It was good to hear from you. I will try and do a catch up and post and then try to post more regularly next week...when time slows down, again. Nanny, I hope you made it home okay. The little engines were asking about you all day. We went over how you will be back, several times. I think they get it : ) Of all the weeks we have had here in Italy, I can honestly say, none of them have gone fast- except this past week. We drove Nanny to the airport this morning and it seems like we were just there to pick her up! This time, we went the right direction and it took much less time, fancy that. (You would think that with a map and a car we would be okay, but it is seriously difficult to get around here. You have to know several towns past your destination town that might be marked on the signs and then might not be. For example, you want to go to Ven
Purebred, German-imported female Pomeranian: 1,000 Euro Innotek Remote Controlled Citronella Spray Collar: $89.99 Little girl growing up with her dream dog: priceless Introducing: Fluffernutter aka: "Brandy" yes, it is also her stripping name Age: 4-years The girls keep forgetting that she won't grow any bigger even though they accept that The Fonz will always be small, go figure. Cost: For us, she was a "free" dog, I like to refer to her as a "used" dog Facts: Both girls are in love with her and she is growing on the Dad in the family She likes to drink out of the bidet She likes to lick Fonzie's ears (Bleh!) She likes to chase kitties, but her favorite hobby is barking...well, it was : )

Have a Very Merry Un-birthday to you, to you....

The tallest of the small is 6.5 years old. We had the usual half-birthday fun. At school, on her half-birthday, one of her friends told her that half birthdays aren't real. She mentioned this to me when she got off the bus. Then she asked me if half birthdays are "real." Hmmmmm. "What do you think?" I asked her (love that parenting technique). Well, she explained that lots of people don't celebrate their half birthdays, most people probably. But since we do, they are real for us. Sounds good to me : ) You get to celebrate their lives twice as many times- how can I resist, besides, it involves CAKE people! Happy half-birthday!