Skip to main content

Let's do Brunch.....

This may be be a "little known" fact about me, but I would rather give a speech to an audience of 1,000 than have guests over for dinner. This statement holds true even if the topic of the speech is not a familiar topic. I swear. I think it's the pressure of having the table and linens and glasses all "matchy matchy." (I haven't even mentioned the issue of preparing an edible meal.)

Dinner soiree's are not my forte, I get all twitchy at the mere thought. That being said, for some crazy reason, I decided maybe entertaining for brunch wouldn't be too bad. It seems like so much less pressure. I mean, I have flipped many a pancake in my day and egg bake is prepared the night before, so how hard could it be?

I got a wild notion to invite our Italian neighbors over for brunch. The idea was rolling around in my head- then when I saw Luciano the next day, the words simply came out of my mouth and it was a done deal.

A friend of mine (it's nice I can say that about someone here in Italy), we'll call her Christy, was kind enough to go to the housewares store and help me pick out some dishes and a co-ordinating table cloth, etc. This friend has two adorable twins (18 months) and a singleton who is H's age. Her twins did AWESOME at the store, while my little Z-bomb WOULD NOT stop asking for water. You would have thought she hadn't had a sip of the stuff in months. (OF course, when given said liquid, she drank just a swallow- maybe that's all she REALLY REALLY DESPERATELY needed.)

So, with My Man's help (actually he did everything), the egg bakes were prepared the night before. We used our recipe (available by request- it hails back to artist Elaine Cohen) and a new recipe provided my Mimi, my MIL. The next day, I made doubled the pancake recipe and we were ready.

I kept waiting for the panic to set in the night before- no panic. I was then waiting for the panic to set in the day of the event- no panic ensued! No jitters, no heart palpitations, no sweaty pits- nothing : )


Without further ado- here are most of the characters in our capers:
Luciano with his daughter (not sure of her name) and his niece- Martina.
Here is Bruna (91 years old) and Sylivia. Sylvia is new on the scene. She lives next door with Loretta and Radame (Kiko the dog's parents). She LIVES there. We have been here approximately 15 months and we had never seen her before. Her English is really good. We can't get over the fact that we had never seen her before. She claims she works long hours and then runs off with her friends on weekends. We are stunned. Did I mention her English is quite good?
Y'all know the little cutie on the left. Next to her is Adelia (such a beautiful name!), and next to her is Loretta. Loretta and Radame live with 2 of Loretta's elderly aunts.
Here's is Loretta, Vanda and Bruna. Vanda is married to Luciano. She is wonderfully kind and speaks quite loudly.









Sadly, I don't have a pic of My Man, my friend Christy, or the Z-bomb, who were all in attendance.

I was told the conversation dropped off a bit when I left the room (not because of my stellar personality, mind you, but rather from the increased language barrier). But, for the most part, the conversation flowed and I think everyone had a nice time. My Italian has improved- at least enough to muddle through brunch : )

I had SUCH a headache when they left!

Comments

mimi and papa said…
Heartwarming! So wonderful to see your thoughtful invitation blossom into this fun event! Everyone looks like they are enjoying the food and friendship! You have no doubt found a special place in their hearts as well. Isn't the way to an Italians heart through the stomach? Thanks for sharing your friends and the brunch with us. Now I'm hungry for pancakes!
Lots of Love, Mimi
Unknown said…
This looks like great fun!! I'm so glad you had them all over--I can tell they are thrilled!! You are making international peace connections, one village, one pancake at at time!!
Hearts! Shoxoxo
nanny said…
Awesome! What a great experience for all involved. Long after you have left Italy, your neighbors will remember your kindness and thoughtfulness. Building international relationships is what the world needs more of. Looks like it was fun! Yummo!
C said…
I love this entry although my girls were not good at the store-do you not remember we had to rush out of there because they were near melt down? You make them sound too good! :) I had a fabulous time "helping" you! I will never forget you explaining to them what syrup was.
Christy

Popular posts from this blog

Spring break whirlwind!

I am sorry that I haven't posted this week. Diesel, I am so glad you figured out how to leave comments- we commented back on some of them! It was good to hear from you. I will try and do a catch up and post and then try to post more regularly next week...when time slows down, again. Nanny, I hope you made it home okay. The little engines were asking about you all day. We went over how you will be back, several times. I think they get it : ) Of all the weeks we have had here in Italy, I can honestly say, none of them have gone fast- except this past week. We drove Nanny to the airport this morning and it seems like we were just there to pick her up! This time, we went the right direction and it took much less time, fancy that. (You would think that with a map and a car we would be okay, but it is seriously difficult to get around here. You have to know several towns past your destination town that might be marked on the signs and then might not be. For example, you want to go to Ven
Purebred, German-imported female Pomeranian: 1,000 Euro Innotek Remote Controlled Citronella Spray Collar: $89.99 Little girl growing up with her dream dog: priceless Introducing: Fluffernutter aka: "Brandy" yes, it is also her stripping name Age: 4-years The girls keep forgetting that she won't grow any bigger even though they accept that The Fonz will always be small, go figure. Cost: For us, she was a "free" dog, I like to refer to her as a "used" dog Facts: Both girls are in love with her and she is growing on the Dad in the family She likes to drink out of the bidet She likes to lick Fonzie's ears (Bleh!) She likes to chase kitties, but her favorite hobby is barking...well, it was : )

Have a Very Merry Un-birthday to you, to you....

The tallest of the small is 6.5 years old. We had the usual half-birthday fun. At school, on her half-birthday, one of her friends told her that half birthdays aren't real. She mentioned this to me when she got off the bus. Then she asked me if half birthdays are "real." Hmmmmm. "What do you think?" I asked her (love that parenting technique). Well, she explained that lots of people don't celebrate their half birthdays, most people probably. But since we do, they are real for us. Sounds good to me : ) You get to celebrate their lives twice as many times- how can I resist, besides, it involves CAKE people! Happy half-birthday!