Skip to main content

Our castle....


I began my earnest search for a new house several weeks ago. One might think that I have plenty of time as we are required to give 6 months notice before we can break our contract. Surprisingly, there aren't many houses available that meet our criteria.

A Dutch woman had posted an ad for a house. We e-mailed back and forth once or twice regarding the property. That evening, the phone rang. It was her, and it felt a bit invasive. I hadn't given her my number during our exchange. I asked how she got my number and she replied, "I just looked it up." I suppose she meant the Italian phone book?

We made arrangements to look at one of her listings. I knew it was a "No" from the moment I set my foot in the place, but I politely walked through the dingy rooms. I followed her diligently up the hazardous staircase, and I peered into the dark unfinished (meaning dirt floor) basement. "No, I don't need to see more of the basement," I assured her. I couldn't resist making a crack about how nice it would be to have a place to bury the dead bodies. Not sure if she caught that one.

Then I dropped the bomb....I innocently inquired, "Do the windows have screens?"

"You AMERICANS are SOOOOO SPOILED with your screens on all your windows!" She had quite a bit to say about it. I was dumbfounded by my own audacity.

So, in case anyone is wondering why we are spoiled- it's not the home pizza delivery, it's not the fast food restaurants with drive-thru windows, it's not the 24-hour shopping experience, it's not the drive-in car washes, it's not the after hour care centers, it's not the quickie marts, it's not my beloved coffee shacks of the Pacific Northwest, it's not air conditioning, our reckless wasting of non-renewable resources........it's the screens on our windows, people, the screens on our windows.


If all else fails, we had lots of fun with the astro turf last year!

Here are our hopes for a new place 1.) yard- prefer fenced in- and most of them are, 2.) some form of shelter for My Man's motocicletta, 3.) high speed internet (very easy for most places, except a little pocket of about four towns), 4.) screens on the windows...living like kings!

Comments

mimi and papa said…
Yet another adventure. Your requirements are reasonable and within reach, I believe. Since you have embraced a process approach to life's challenges, you see that taking a step at a time is the way to find just the right castle. Hope to help you with your search during our visit. So Miss spoiled American, what didn't you like about the dirt basement floor?? With a few lawn chairs, you could create a beach atmosphere "media room".
Mucho Amore, Mimi

Popular posts from this blog

Spring break whirlwind!

I am sorry that I haven't posted this week. Diesel, I am so glad you figured out how to leave comments- we commented back on some of them! It was good to hear from you. I will try and do a catch up and post and then try to post more regularly next week...when time slows down, again. Nanny, I hope you made it home okay. The little engines were asking about you all day. We went over how you will be back, several times. I think they get it : ) Of all the weeks we have had here in Italy, I can honestly say, none of them have gone fast- except this past week. We drove Nanny to the airport this morning and it seems like we were just there to pick her up! This time, we went the right direction and it took much less time, fancy that. (You would think that with a map and a car we would be okay, but it is seriously difficult to get around here. You have to know several towns past your destination town that might be marked on the signs and then might not be. For example, you want to go to Ven
Purebred, German-imported female Pomeranian: 1,000 Euro Innotek Remote Controlled Citronella Spray Collar: $89.99 Little girl growing up with her dream dog: priceless Introducing: Fluffernutter aka: "Brandy" yes, it is also her stripping name Age: 4-years The girls keep forgetting that she won't grow any bigger even though they accept that The Fonz will always be small, go figure. Cost: For us, she was a "free" dog, I like to refer to her as a "used" dog Facts: Both girls are in love with her and she is growing on the Dad in the family She likes to drink out of the bidet She likes to lick Fonzie's ears (Bleh!) She likes to chase kitties, but her favorite hobby is barking...well, it was : )

Have a Very Merry Un-birthday to you, to you....

The tallest of the small is 6.5 years old. We had the usual half-birthday fun. At school, on her half-birthday, one of her friends told her that half birthdays aren't real. She mentioned this to me when she got off the bus. Then she asked me if half birthdays are "real." Hmmmmm. "What do you think?" I asked her (love that parenting technique). Well, she explained that lots of people don't celebrate their half birthdays, most people probably. But since we do, they are real for us. Sounds good to me : ) You get to celebrate their lives twice as many times- how can I resist, besides, it involves CAKE people! Happy half-birthday!