Skip to main content

I am not fruit illiterate....


I fear I will be forever paying the price for not recognizing a fig. A couple of weeks ago, My Man was out walking the Fonz. Senora Anna stopped him and gave him a huge metal pail filled with several different kinds of apples. This was accompanied by a large basket with partially rotting tomatoes underneath more apples.

We decided to make an apple pie. Simple enough- that would help with the apple abundance situation. We would figure out some plan for the tomatoes later. My Man reminded me that some apples were better suited for apple pie than others. He suggested I go ask Senora Anna which ones were to be used as such. He was assuming she would know her apples. He was assuming she would be familiar with apple pie. I didn't want to go, but I did.

Sheepishly, I walked into the bustling hair salon and caught Anna's attention-and everybody else's for that matter. I started asking her my question before I remembered that she is always in a hurry and rarely listens to my full question. Off we went, up the stairs to her house- leaving the woman in her chair with wet hair and a mystified look on her face.

Once in her kitchen, she began buzzing about and flailing her arms. She grabbed an apple and showed me how to peel it. She then showed me how to eat the apple by giving me a taste from her paring knife. It's good, see? She also pointed out the rotten spots and told me not to eat those. Then she flew over to the stove and insisted I take some tomato sauce home. (It was diced tomatoes with salt and some olive oil). After being unable to locate any vessel for transport- and spilling some on the floor, she covered the pan with an inverted plate. Then she went to the kitchen table and started wrapping up her leftovers from lunch for us to try. At some point she opened the freezer door and a fish flopped out onto the floor (it looked vaguely familiar) - she seemed really bothered by this incident and mumbled her apologies.


Soon, I was back on the street. I was no wiser about the apple selection and had a lot of leftovers to take home.

Next time, maybe My Man should go...maybe he would have better luck.






The pie turned out to be very tasty. Perhaps enough sugar and spices can make any fruit taste delicious!

The sauce was a bit plain for our taste. It also contained a dark black hair.

Comments

Bongo Bear said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bongo Bear said…
I love the pics of your family fun! Your neighbors must be wondering (if they know it) where that saying "as American as apple pie" came from if Americans don't even know what an apple is. :-) Thanks for the story and pictures, you all look fantastic!
Anonymous said…
Your apple adventure is yet another tale with a humerous twist and a tasty treat to complete the experience. All is well that ends with an apple pie. All of you look so very cute and handsome as each of you contributes to the family project ----and that is the best! The Fonz adds a nice touch to the caper, even though he could not be as involved. Keep up the creative fun! I look forward to each installment. Lots of Love, Mimi
nanny said…
I can't stop laughing.....really no one can ever say your years alitalia were dull. Will write again soon, but I can't stop laughing. I have tears!
Unknown said…
OMG!! Hilarious! The story about your neighbor and the apple and the fish falling out the freezer?! Who does that happen to?!?! Ha! Glad you are all having fun. The engines are already more grown-up than July when i was there! My goodness!! Sooo uber duber cuuute. Saved them to my screen saver! Call again soon. XOX Auntie RR
Anonymous said…
Toutes les femmes à la cuisine : l'automn est la saison des pommes, noix, et raisins, ainsi donc nous mangeons actuellement ma TARTE D'AUTUMN et c'est délicieux tout le monde adore. Mais je n'ai pas la chance comme toi Jolie Cooker d'avoir autant de pommes, et en plus biologiques. C'est fait chaud au coeur de vous voir tous avec a 'Great Smile'vous paraissez tous très heureux. A bientôt LOVE
mimi and papa said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Spring break whirlwind!

I am sorry that I haven't posted this week. Diesel, I am so glad you figured out how to leave comments- we commented back on some of them! It was good to hear from you. I will try and do a catch up and post and then try to post more regularly next week...when time slows down, again. Nanny, I hope you made it home okay. The little engines were asking about you all day. We went over how you will be back, several times. I think they get it : ) Of all the weeks we have had here in Italy, I can honestly say, none of them have gone fast- except this past week. We drove Nanny to the airport this morning and it seems like we were just there to pick her up! This time, we went the right direction and it took much less time, fancy that. (You would think that with a map and a car we would be okay, but it is seriously difficult to get around here. You have to know several towns past your destination town that might be marked on the signs and then might not be. For example, you want to go to Ven
Purebred, German-imported female Pomeranian: 1,000 Euro Innotek Remote Controlled Citronella Spray Collar: $89.99 Little girl growing up with her dream dog: priceless Introducing: Fluffernutter aka: "Brandy" yes, it is also her stripping name Age: 4-years The girls keep forgetting that she won't grow any bigger even though they accept that The Fonz will always be small, go figure. Cost: For us, she was a "free" dog, I like to refer to her as a "used" dog Facts: Both girls are in love with her and she is growing on the Dad in the family She likes to drink out of the bidet She likes to lick Fonzie's ears (Bleh!) She likes to chase kitties, but her favorite hobby is barking...well, it was : )

Have a Very Merry Un-birthday to you, to you....

The tallest of the small is 6.5 years old. We had the usual half-birthday fun. At school, on her half-birthday, one of her friends told her that half birthdays aren't real. She mentioned this to me when she got off the bus. Then she asked me if half birthdays are "real." Hmmmmm. "What do you think?" I asked her (love that parenting technique). Well, she explained that lots of people don't celebrate their half birthdays, most people probably. But since we do, they are real for us. Sounds good to me : ) You get to celebrate their lives twice as many times- how can I resist, besides, it involves CAKE people! Happy half-birthday!