Skip to main content

Mystery Fruit....help us out

Okay, kind readers, now's your chance to help out your favorite foreign exchange family. We have a mystery fruit on our hands.

This is not the first time our neighbors have kindly offered us mystery fruit. I can't find the pics of the last batch, but we decided (based on someones distant gut feeling- tee hee) that they were most likely Quinces. They tasted pretty good- we ate most of them.

Seems that just when I am seriously considering moving into government quarters (yes, Aunt Na and Uncle Crunchy, this is still a recurring topic) the neighbors surprise us with a kind and "charming" interaction. I am beginning to wonder if our landlord has the place bugged. When he hears me go on too much about moving, he hires the neighbors to play happy villagers and they try to persuade us to stay- albeit with interesting tactics.

Our neighbor was smiling broadly as he presented a large bowl brimming with this fruit. He showed me that you peel them before eating them. He also joked that they have a lot of sugar in them (I thought he was telling me to put sugar ON them) but he made it clear that they contain a lot of sugar- he referenced diabetes. This conversation took place in Italian as you might have guessed. I really need to make learning Italian a higher priority.

So, here's the fruit...they are soft and have no particular scent. The are about the size of a clenched fist.




This is what they look like peeled. They peel easily and the skin is very thin.

This is what they look like when cut. They don't have much taste, really. They are very mushy. I will try to eat some of them, even for the mystery fruit, I feel bad wasting food. I might feel better if I knew what they were....maybe I could find a recipe and use some of them that way.....so, if you know what they are- or if you have a guess, leave a comment and let us know. Thanks!

Have a great weekend.

Comments

Bongo Bear said…
They look like figs to me- my Great-Grandmother had a fig tree and these remind me of them. I am curious what they are. I am e-mailing you a website to compare other fig photos. :-)
mimi and papa said…
No clue...it's OK if you run out prior to my arrival. You might try a aprinkle of cinnamon?
I think it's cute that the neighbors bring little gifts to share with you. There is a friendly spirit that you cannot deny. How about a novel approach....ask the neighbor!!

Popular posts from this blog

Spring break whirlwind!

I am sorry that I haven't posted this week. Diesel, I am so glad you figured out how to leave comments- we commented back on some of them! It was good to hear from you. I will try and do a catch up and post and then try to post more regularly next week...when time slows down, again. Nanny, I hope you made it home okay. The little engines were asking about you all day. We went over how you will be back, several times. I think they get it : ) Of all the weeks we have had here in Italy, I can honestly say, none of them have gone fast- except this past week. We drove Nanny to the airport this morning and it seems like we were just there to pick her up! This time, we went the right direction and it took much less time, fancy that. (You would think that with a map and a car we would be okay, but it is seriously difficult to get around here. You have to know several towns past your destination town that might be marked on the signs and then might not be. For example, you want to go to Ven
Purebred, German-imported female Pomeranian: 1,000 Euro Innotek Remote Controlled Citronella Spray Collar: $89.99 Little girl growing up with her dream dog: priceless Introducing: Fluffernutter aka: "Brandy" yes, it is also her stripping name Age: 4-years The girls keep forgetting that she won't grow any bigger even though they accept that The Fonz will always be small, go figure. Cost: For us, she was a "free" dog, I like to refer to her as a "used" dog Facts: Both girls are in love with her and she is growing on the Dad in the family She likes to drink out of the bidet She likes to lick Fonzie's ears (Bleh!) She likes to chase kitties, but her favorite hobby is barking...well, it was : )

Have a Very Merry Un-birthday to you, to you....

The tallest of the small is 6.5 years old. We had the usual half-birthday fun. At school, on her half-birthday, one of her friends told her that half birthdays aren't real. She mentioned this to me when she got off the bus. Then she asked me if half birthdays are "real." Hmmmmm. "What do you think?" I asked her (love that parenting technique). Well, she explained that lots of people don't celebrate their half birthdays, most people probably. But since we do, they are real for us. Sounds good to me : ) You get to celebrate their lives twice as many times- how can I resist, besides, it involves CAKE people! Happy half-birthday!