Skip to main content

Sights of Italy

Today I will tell about the curative powers of Air here in Italy. Of course, most people hang their laundry out to dry as electricity is supposedly very expensive (although we know not yet how expensive because we haven't yet received a bill- I guess they bill quarterly? if they get around to it?). It follows then that the laundry hangs outside on railings, drying racks, fences, lines and balconies. Okay, I can see that. I myself now have three drying racks and use them regularly- I will get a pic sometime, although I doubt it's all that exciting. I have also walked out our door only to find our landlord, and two neighbors (also male) standing just outside our door, next to my drying rack that was filled with my unmentionables. Umm, I felt a bit bizarre and went back into the house to return later to re-arrange my drawers. At this point, I don't think I would care- perhaps I am adjusting to this new lifestyle, eh, who am I kidding? I think I would still feel weird, I am sure to find out. Okay, now onto the point.



So, the laundry I can see, but the other day, our neighbors (we call them Chris and Tabitha although we really don't know their names) had more than just their laundry out. It seems that the Air here is good for all furniture, toys, etc. You can click on the photo to enlarge the image and see for yourself that their entire sofa is on their porch! That is our sight of Italy for today and what an interesting sight it was. And, for those of you wondering- yes, I have actually hung blankets out the window and yes, I have seen the neighbor's blankets fall on the ground below- I haven't experienced this yet myself : ) (As an aside, some of our visitors have been known to bring 3 times the normal amount of panties just to avoid this embarrassment-how many panties will that be for the entire summer???? Hmmmm.....)

Comments

mimi and papa said…
I really like that you used the word panties. It is a very cute word and I will take heed and purchase dozens of pairs (a pair is actually one panty--why the pair thing for one??)I too may shy away from airing my laundry for all to see. So thank you in advance for the warning and advice. Arent' they a little stiff after drying outside??? None of this dampens my spirit and wanderlust. I shall travel to your fair land in spite of the dryer deficit. lots of love, Carole
nanny said…
Now, what you're experiencing used to be the norm in ethnic America in the 50s-60s. I can remember chasing laundry around the neighborhood and hanging coats etc. on the back porch. You are just in a time warp. (FYI, I have loads of unmentionables...so I can get through the summer, I think.)

Popular posts from this blog

Spring break whirlwind!

I am sorry that I haven't posted this week. Diesel, I am so glad you figured out how to leave comments- we commented back on some of them! It was good to hear from you. I will try and do a catch up and post and then try to post more regularly next week...when time slows down, again. Nanny, I hope you made it home okay. The little engines were asking about you all day. We went over how you will be back, several times. I think they get it : ) Of all the weeks we have had here in Italy, I can honestly say, none of them have gone fast- except this past week. We drove Nanny to the airport this morning and it seems like we were just there to pick her up! This time, we went the right direction and it took much less time, fancy that. (You would think that with a map and a car we would be okay, but it is seriously difficult to get around here. You have to know several towns past your destination town that might be marked on the signs and then might not be. For example, you want to go to Ven
Purebred, German-imported female Pomeranian: 1,000 Euro Innotek Remote Controlled Citronella Spray Collar: $89.99 Little girl growing up with her dream dog: priceless Introducing: Fluffernutter aka: "Brandy" yes, it is also her stripping name Age: 4-years The girls keep forgetting that she won't grow any bigger even though they accept that The Fonz will always be small, go figure. Cost: For us, she was a "free" dog, I like to refer to her as a "used" dog Facts: Both girls are in love with her and she is growing on the Dad in the family She likes to drink out of the bidet She likes to lick Fonzie's ears (Bleh!) She likes to chase kitties, but her favorite hobby is barking...well, it was : )

Have a Very Merry Un-birthday to you, to you....

The tallest of the small is 6.5 years old. We had the usual half-birthday fun. At school, on her half-birthday, one of her friends told her that half birthdays aren't real. She mentioned this to me when she got off the bus. Then she asked me if half birthdays are "real." Hmmmmm. "What do you think?" I asked her (love that parenting technique). Well, she explained that lots of people don't celebrate their half birthdays, most people probably. But since we do, they are real for us. Sounds good to me : ) You get to celebrate their lives twice as many times- how can I resist, besides, it involves CAKE people! Happy half-birthday!